Land of the Long White Cloud

Saturday, July 17, 2004

Picton

The ferry from Picton goes through the Malborough sounds across the sea to Wellington on the north island. I, however, stayed here for 3 days hoping to do the Queen Charlotte walk over 2 days but didn't get a chance because of the rainy weather. Instead I went on a winetasting tour in the Malborough valley, the most famous NZ wine region, renowned for its Sauvignon Blanc. Here's a pic of me at Mudhouse winery:



Our hostess was an english lady who had moved over years ago and she was bloody funny. Here's a pic of the people in our group:



The previous day I borrowed a bike from the hostel and cycled a short way to the next bay along where I was luckily enough to witness a mauri rowing club coming ashore in their traditional waka canoe and then perform their haka.

When I was leaving Picton on the Stray Bus the NZ Army had just stepped off the ferry and I was again lucky enough to see them performing their haka. It was powerful stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home